Situated in the centre of Blackrock, Jack O’Rourke’s is easily recognised by its striking pub frontage of black and gold. The pub dates from the early 1800′s, and commenced business as “a first class family grocery, with tea blending departments”. Jack O’Rourke’s has always been a big part of the Blackrock scene, and is very popular with both the local and business communities.
Myles Na gCopoleen referred to the pub in his writings (see his amusing letter to Jack O’Rourke, on display in the Snug), as has J.P. Dunleavy (‘The Ginger Man‘). The pub was also frequented by James Joyce and many other personalities of the past, some of whom are depicted in the pub.
The O’Rourke family purchased the business in 1921. It was run by Jack during his lifetime, and is now managed by his daughter-in-law, Jane, and one of her four sons, Nigel.
During all these years, Jack O’Rourke’s has been upgraded, but not changed. The old atmosphere of the original pub is still there. The upstairs room “The Parlour” caters for groups, private parties etc
Old photos and memorabilia of Blackrock are on display throughout, and are a source of much interest to customers. Jack O’Rourke’s is by far the longest established business in Blackrock, where local people and those returning from abroad, are delighted to be able to enjoy a pint in the very same pub that was frequented by their father’s and grandfather’s.
Traditional food served seven days a week from 12 noon until 10pm.